soit une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent

BrianC1Kwiziq Q&A regular contributor

soit une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent

soit une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent Isn’t this a 45% reduction (maths not French I’m afraid).
Asked 2 years ago
ChrisC1 Kwiziq Q&A super contributor Correct answer

cinquante -- 50
quarante -- 40

Une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent -- a reduction of 55%

ChrisC1 Kwiziq Q&A super contributor Correct answer

A reduction from 300 to 135 is a reduction by (absolute) 165. And 165 constitutes 55% of 300 (165 divided by 3). The  value after the reduction (i.e., 135), therefore, is the remainder of 45%. Hence, it is a reduction of 55%.

BrianC1Kwiziq Q&A regular contributor

Ah, sorry, I wasn’t clear. The numbers involved produce a 45% reduction (135/300). It’s not a language question. 

BrianC1Kwiziq Q&A regular contributor

Ahhh, now I see. I thought it had said “reduced by”, but looking back it’s quite clearly “reduced to” (“ qui était descendu à 135€“). Mystery solved - thanks for persevering with your explanation. 

soit une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent

soit une réduction de cinquante-cinq pour cent Isn’t this a 45% reduction (maths not French I’m afraid).

Sign in to submit your answer

Don't have an account yet? Join today

Ask a question

Find your French level for FREE

Test your French to the CEFR standard

Find your French level
Let me take a look at that...