Practice your French listening skills with our vast selection of French audio articles and listening (dictation) challenges organised by level. Test your listening skills with interactive French exercises that include translations and free grammar and vocabulary lessons related to the subject. Also in this set you will find challenges that include our interactive reader to practice French listening skills and French reading skills at the same time.
All those marked free are free for registered users; the rest are available with any of our Premium Progress with Lawless French plans.
A1: Beginner French listening exercises
- Au marché (A1)
Mrs Lepic goes to the market to buy some fresh produce.
- Bonne fête des mères (A1)
Caroline enjoys her first Mother's Day!
- Cher journal Free Bilingual reader
Learn to talk about daily routines while practicing your French listening and reading comprehension.
- Choisir le dîner (A1)
Philippe and Sonia are discussing what to have for dinner.
- Comptine du Cartable (A1)
Ever wondered what goes on in your school bag at night... Here's an original nursery rhyme by Aurélie.
- Cunégonde la sorcière (A1)
Meet the meanest witch in town!
- Dans ma ville (A1)
Gabrielle tells us about her town.
- Dommage ! (A1)
Marie tells Tom why she can't come to Lucie's party tonight.
- Déjeuner du dimanche (A1)
Tamara is at the market to buy food for Sunday lunch.
- En voiture (A1)
Laurent tells Julie that he's stuck in traffic.
- Entretien avec un vampire Free Bilingual reader
Check out this interview inspired by Anne Rice's novel to practice your French listening and reading comprehension.
- Famille chérie (A1)
Marina talks about her beloved family.
- J'aime ma voiture ! (A1)
Charlotte tells us why she loves driving.
- Je me décris (A1)
Sophie describes herself to us.
- L'argent de poche (A1)
Sarah tells us about her pocket money.
- La Comptine des Vêtements Free Bilingual reader
Practice your A1 French listening skills with a nursery rhyme about clothing.
- La maison de Gérard
Lucie interviews Gérard about his house.
- La météo des amies (A1)
Stéphanie and Alice talk about today's weather in their respective cities.
- La pâtisserie du dimanche (A1)
Stéphanie likes to make cakes with her daughter Pauline on Sundays.
- La répartition des tâches (A1)
Lisa tells us how chores are shared out in her house.
- Le festival de Cannes (A1)
Fabien talks about the famous French film festival.
- Le jour de Noël (A1)
Simon has his own Christmas routine.
- Le journal d'Adam
Adam introduces himself and explains why he's starting a diary.
- Le matin (A1)
Aline tells us about her morning routine.
- Le ski avec l'école (A1)
Émilie tells us about her skiing school trip.
- Les bonnes choses de la vie (A1)
Valérie shares her tips to make herself feel better.
- Les costumes de Mardi Gras (A1)
Julie tells us about her favourite Mardi Gras costumes.
- Les desserts (A1)
Paul tells us about his most and least favourite desserts.
- Les loisirs créatifs avec mon fils (A1)
Isabelle loves to do arts and crafts with her little boy!
- Les matins d'examen (A1)
Marina has her exam morning routine sorted.
- Ma famille (A1) Free
Sébastien tells us about his family.
- Ma maison (A1)
Sophie describes her lovely little house!
- Ma maman chérie (A1)
Aurélie tells us about her mother.
- Ma routine beauté (A1)
Anaïs tells us about her beauty routine.
- Ma routine linguistique (A1)
Lisa has a great routine to improve her English.
- Marie en France (A1) Free
What does Marie do when she's on a typical holiday?
- Marie in France Free Bilingual reader
Work on your A1-level French reading and listening comprehension with this bilingual article - click any phrase to see the English translation as well as links to related French grammar lessons.
- Mes amis internationaux (A1)
Lucie introduces her friends from all around the world.
- Mes boissons préférées
Aline and Manuel tell us what their favourite drinks are.
- Mes nouvelles résolutions (A1)
Amélie tells us about her New Year's resolutions.
- Mes soirées Netflix (A1)
Amélie loves watching Netflix in the evening.
- Mon chocolat préféré (A1)
Vincent and Judith have their own favourite types of chocolate.
- Mon fils et ses livres
Noémie's son has a passion for books !
- Mon papa adoré (A1)
Charlotte tells about her beloved dad.
- Mon programme de Saint-Valentin (A1)
Sonia has many things to do before her Valentine's date with Luc.
- Notre festin de Noël (A1)
Marie is in charge of this year's Christmas dinner, and there's a lot to do!
- Noël approche ! (A1) Free
Christmas is coming closer and Marina has a lot to do!
- Où es-tu ? (A1)
Pierre is lost and needs directions.
- Où est la Tour Eiffel, s’il vous plaît ? (A1)
Janine gives direction to a group of tourists lost in Paris.
- Où est la cathédrale ? (A1)
Camille asks for directions on the street in France.
- Pierre le youtubeur (A1)
Lisa's son Pierre is a millionaire at only 8 years old thanks to Youtube.
- Qu'est-ce qu'ils portent aujourd'hui ? (A1)
Amélie describes the way her friends are dressed today
- Quasimodo se présente (A1)
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame introduces himself.
- Quel âge as-tu ? (A1)
Henri tells us how old he and his family are.
- Qu’est-ce que tu aimes manger en automne ? (A1)
Lucie tells us what her favourite autumn food is.
- Réparer le toit (A1)
Magalie has decided to fix her roof herself.
- Stéphanie se présente (A1)
Stéphanie introduces herself to us.
- Un billet pour Madrid ! (A1)
Justine is booking a return flight to Madrid.
- Une Journée Chargée - part 1 (A1) Free
Marc tells us about the busy day he has ahead of him!
- Une Journée Chargée - part 2 (A1)
Marc tells us about the busy day he has ahead of him!
- Une après-midi au parc (A1)
Nothing nicer than a sunny afternoon at the park!
- Une carte postale de France (A1)
Émilie sends a postcard from France to her friend Sarah.
- Une semaine de solidarité (A1)
Sophie does something nice for her elderly neighbour every day of the week.
- Une vie de fantôme (A1)
The ghost of the Palace of Versailles tells us about its life.
- Une visite chez les grands-parents (A1)
Xavier visits his grandparents every Saturday.
- Une élève enthousiaste (A1)
Emma is ready to go back to school!
- Vacances paresseuses (A1)
Lucie likes being lazy when she's on holiday [US: vacation] at home.
- Ville ou campagne ? (A1)
Stéphane and Amélie discuss their preferences between living in a city or in the countryside.
- Vive l'argent ! (A1)
Lydia loves spending money!
- Vive l'automne ! Free Bilingual reader
Find out why fall is the best season in this bilingual audio article.
- À l'hôtel (A1)
Peter and his girlfriend check in a French hotel.
- À la boulangerie (A1)
Mrs Poiret goes to Mr Dulac's bakery this morning.
- À la gare
Henri needs to buy some train tickets.
- Ça ne va pas ! (A1)
Pascal meets with Lucie who doesn't feel well at all.
A2: Lower Intermediate French listening exercises
- Arnaud le voyageur (A2)
Charlotte tells us about her friend Arnaud who loves traveling.
- Au cirque (A2) Free
Adeline went to the circus yesterday and tells us all about it!
- Au petit-déjeuner (A2)
Lucie is grumpy this morning at the breakfast table.
- Au restaurant (A2)
Ophélie is ordering food at the restaurant.
- Balade en forêt (A2)
Sabrina went for a long walk in the snowy woods.
- Belgium's Declaration of Independence Free Bilingual reader
Practice listening and reading while learning about how Belgium proclaimed its independence.
- Bonjour ! (A2)
Alice tells us a bit about herself.
- Bonne fête des Mères ! Free Bilingual reader
One Sunday in May or June is designated Mother's Day in France, but why? Where does this annual maternal celebration come from?
- Carte postale Free Bilingual reader
Practice your French listening and reading comprehension with this postcard about Magalie's stay with her grandparents.
- Carte postale du sud de la France (A2)
Emma writes to her parents about her holiday [US: vacation].
- Cette fois, j'arrête ! (A2)
Louis tried to stop smoking before, but this time will be different!
- Changement de garde-robe (A2)
Mélanie is happy to say goodbye to winter fashion.
- Chaud ou froid ? Free Bilingual reader
Too hot or too cold? Luc and Amélie discuss their preferences in this A2 bilingual reader.
- Chez la fleuriste (A2)
Greg wants to buy some flowers for his Valentine.
- Chez le dentiste (A2)
Liliane is at the dentist's for a toothache.
- Célébrer Hanoucca (A2)
Rachelle celebrated the first day of Hanukkah with her son Sam.
- Dans la boutique de souvenirs (B2)
Lydia is looking for a souvenir for her niece Hayley in Paris.
- Dans les coulisses du Moulin Rouge Free Bilingual reader
The Moulin Rouge is a world-famous revue in Paris. Take a look behind the scenes and sequins with this video report.
- Devenir tata ! (A2)
Aurélie has become an aunt for the first time!
- Devenir une ballerine (A2)
Gaelle has always known she'd become a ballerina.
- Dispute entre frère et sœur
Mum [US: Mom] has to get involved in an argument between Bruno and his sister Julie.
- En gardant mes neveux (B1)
Anissa babysat her niece and nephew this weekend.
- Entretien avec une chanteuse (A2)
Arnaud interviews singer Mélanie about her latest tour.
- Fans de sport (A2)
Anne-Marie and her friend Nicolas used to practise lots of different sports.
- Hajj Free Bilingual reader
One of the largest religious gatherings in the world is the annual Muslim pilgrimage, called Hajj, to Mecca. In addition to devotion, technology is beginning to play its part as well, as explained in this video.
- Kwiziq French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
With the Cannes festival just around the corner, May is movie month at Kwiziq! For our first French film fest, we've written mini reviews of our favorite movies which you can read and/or listen to.
- L'école en France (A2)
Learn about the early stages of school in France.
- La Parade (A2)
This year, Aurélie is organising Mardi Gras's parade!
- La fabrication des œufs en chocolat (A2)
Élodie made her own Easter eggs this year.
- La journée internationale de Star Wars (A2)
Juliette loves celebrating Star Wars Day.
- La marche du 8 mars (A2)
Joseph went to the Women's March on March 8.
- La première astronome (A2)
Edmée Chandon, first French female astronomist, tells us about herself.
- La semaine des Martin Free Bilingual reader
Article about a busy week of activities for the Martin family.
- La veille de Noël (A2)
Here's what Yann, 8, did on Christmas Eve.
- Le 14 juillet (A2)
Do you actually know why France's National Day is July 14th?
- Le Festival du cinéma américain de Deauville Free Bilingual reader
The seaside resort of Deauville, in Normandy, is home to an annual American movie festival.
- Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez - French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
Grzegab's review for the Kwiziq French Film Fest.
- Le Salon du chocolat Free Bilingual reader
Chocolate lovers and Francophiles rejoice: Paris's annual chocolate festival is just around the corner. Practice listening and reading with this sweet article.
- Le TCF sur ordinateur Free Bilingual reader
Learn how to take the official French test known as TCF in this video. You can find more French test tips below the transcript / translation.
- Le matin de Pâques (A2)
Alice tells us about her children's egg hunt.
- Le perruquier (A2)
Geoffrey used to work as a wigmaker at the opera.
- Le pouvoir de changer (A2)
Émilie realised she had the power to change.
- Le soir d’Halloween (A2) Free
On Hallowe'en night, monsters have fun!
- Le tapis rouge (A2)
Sabrina and her husband were very elegant on the red carpet.
- Le water-polo (A2)
Samir tells us about his favourite sport: water polo.
- Les châtaigniers (A2)
In the fall, Christine loves going to the woods to pick up chestnuts.
- Les consignes de la prof (A2)
In the beginning of a French lesson, the teacher gives instructions to the students.
- Les souvenirs d'une libraire (A2)
Brigitte used to work in a bookshop.
- Les vacances à la mer de Lola Free Bilingual reader
Work on your A2-level French reading and listening comprehension with this bilingual article - click any phrase to see the English translation as well as links to related French grammar lessons.
- Lettre à France - Michel Polnareff Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy French singer Michel Polnareff's cult love "letter" to France, and sing along while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Ma chambre d'enfant (A2)
Yann's childhood bedroom was very colourful.
- Ma correspondante (A2)
Marina tells us how she met her penpal Sophie.
- Ma nouvelle alimentation bio (A2)
Louise tells us how she changed her diet for environmental reasons.
- Ma première console (A2)
Émilie got her first console for her birthday.
- Ma première rentrée (A2)
Lisa remembers her first day of school
- Ma vie amoureuse mouvementée (A2)
Lisa tells us about her latest dating experience.
- Malchance au casino (A2)
Yvan is not very happy with his first time in a casino.
- Marie-Antoinette (A2)
Here's a quick biography of Marie-Antoinette, "last" queen of France (pre-French Revolution).
- Merci pour mon anniversaire ! (A2)
Julien thanks his partner Patricia for his surprise birthday party.
- Mon appartement est trop chaud ! (A2)
Annie's flat [US: apartment] is unbearable during heatwaves.
- Mon chien Jack et moi (A2)
Émilie talks about her beloved dog Jack.
- Mon nouvel ordinateur (A2)
Irène's new computer is much better than her old one!
- Mon poisson rouge (A2)
Élodie loves her goldfish Oscar !
- Mon programme de la semaine dernière (A2)
Jacques had a very busy week!
- Mon répondeur Free Bilingual reader
Ever wondered what a French answering machine and its messages might sound like? It's a great source of vocab and colloquial French!
- Mon voisin Gilbert (A2)
Frank got to know his elderly neighbour.
- Ouvrir un compte (A2)
Jean-Pascal just opened a new bank account.
- Petit Ours Brun fait des crêpes Free Bilingual reader
Watch this cute video about making crêpes - just in time for le jour des crêpes (2 février)
- Petit Pangolin Malin - Comptine d'Afrique Free Bilingual reader
African nursery rhyme about a very cute (and topical) animal!
- Pot de départ en retraite (A2)
Diane gives a toast to Robert, who's retiring.
- Pourquoi les Français sont-ils si fiers de leur cuisine ? Free Bilingual reader
Why are the French so proud of their cuisine? Find out in this cute animated video.
- Problème d'addition (A2)
There's been a mistake on Julie and Olivier's restaurant bill.
- Présentation Equipe de France Paralympique 2018 Free Bilingual reader
Get to know Cécile Hernandez, a French Paralympic Games skiboarder in this video.
- Présentation de l'Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie Free Bilingual reader
Today is the International Day of Francophonie, and here's an introduction to the organization behind it.
- Public holidays in France Free Bilingual reader
Everyone loves a good public holiday, n'est-ce pas? France has 11 of them, but they're not always paid days off from work.
- Qu'est-ce que la Journée Internationale des Femmes ? (A2)
Aurélie tells us what the International Women's Day is about.
- Qui suis-je ? (A2)
A French author is introducing herself: will you guess who she is?
- Sortie entre filles (A2)
Julie spent the night out with her best friend Sophie.
- Travailler dans la francophonie (A2) Free
Lucie liked working to promote Francophone culture around the world.
- Un anniversaire parfait (A2)
Marielle had the most perfect anniversary.
- Un cadeau pour tout le monde ! (A2)
Henriette tells us what Christmas presents she got for her relatives.
- Un dîner agité ! (A2)
Caroline tells about last night's hectic dinner!
- Un hôtel incroyable ! (A2)
Margaux is delighted with the hotel she spent the weekend at.
- Un jeune sauveteur (A2)
Benjamin was 13 when he saved his brothers' lives.
- Un mauvais numéro Free Bilingual reader
Wrong number! Listen to this friendly exchange between a caller and the person she called by mistake.
- Un mauvais numéro (A2)
Lucas has the wrong number!
- Un samedi à Paris Free Bilingual reader
Take a stroll around Paris while working on your French listening and reading comprehension.
- Une fête d'anniversaire réussie ! (A2)
Florence's son had a space-themed party for his birthday!
- Une journée chargée Free Bilingual reader
Audio article about a busy day of shopping and socializing.
- Une journée dans ma vie d'au pair Free Bilingual reader
Spend a day as an au pair with this video.
- Une promenade en ville (A2)
Marie took her English cousin Peter on a walk around the village.
- Une tradition de décembre (A2)
Solène remembers what she and her mother used to do every December.
- What is Ramadan? Free Bilingual reader
Ramadan is a holy month in the Islamic calendar. When is it and what's it about?
- À la Fête de la Musique (A2)
Samuel really enjoyed Music Day this year.
- À la piscine (A2)
Muriel went to the swimming pool yesterday.
B1: Intermediate French listening exercises
- 20 March: International Day of Francophonie Free Bilingual reader
French is spoken in dozens of countries, a phenomenon known as "Francophonie" which is celebrated every year on 20 March. Celebrate by learning about a few French-speaking countries that you might not be familiar with.
- 6 juin 1944 : voyage à travers le temps Free Bilingual reader
The Allied landing in Normandy is commemorated every year with parades and speeches - and even re-enactments of that fateful day.
- 8 mai 1945 : la capitulation de l'Allemagne à Reims Free Bilingual reader
On the 8th of May 1945, Germany surrendered to Allied forces. Find out more in this video with archive footage. Below, you'll find the transcript and translation - click any phrase to read the English and find links to related French grammar lessons.
- A Christmas Carol Free Bilingual reader
Read and listen to this bilingual version of Charles Dickens's classic "A Christmas Carol," adapted and translated for intermediate French students.
- Allergies de printemps (B1)
Blandine is not looking forward to her spring allergies...
- Allô les pompiers ? (B1)
Élodie is calling the Fire Brigade.
- Alpine French School Free Bilingual reader
If you love to ski or snowboard, like me, then you might be interested to know that there's a school in the Alps where you can ski and learn French at the same time.
- Après le coronavirus Free Bilingual reader
Marianne is thinking about life after lockdown. Find out what she'll do on their first day outside in our bilingual audio article.
- Ascension Free Bilingual reader
Learn about the mobile jour férié and Christian holiday of Ascension, celebrated 40 days after Easter Sunday.
- Au Restaurant de la Plage Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy lunch at a beachside restaurant with this bilingual article.
- Blanche-Neige (B1)
Once upon a time, there was a princess named Snow White...
- Bonne fête des Pères ! Free Bilingual reader
The third Sunday in June is unofficially Father's Day in France. Find out where it came from in our bilingual article.
- Bûche de Noël : recette Free Bilingual reader
Find out how to make the most classic of French Christmas desserts: la bûche de Noël.
- C'est qui Coluche ? Free Bilingual reader
Do you know who Coluche is? Find out in this cute animated video.
- C.R.A.Z.Y. - French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
The third Kwiziq French Film Fest review is by our very own Aurélie. Watch the trailer: C.R.A.Z.Y.
- Canicule : conseils de prévention (B1)
Gabriel gives us advice to deal with the heatwave.
- Chez le mécanicien (B1)
Sylvie went to pick up her car from the garage.
- Chez le vétérinaire (B1)
Lucie's little puppy has hurt his paw...
- Claude Monet's "Water Lilies" Free Bilingual reader
French painter Claude Monet is famous for his Water Lilies. For the story behind the unique way these impressionist paintings are displayed, watch this video.
- Clovis, roi des Francs (B1)
Learn about the first king of the Franks.
- Comme Avant (ConfinementSong) Free Bilingual reader
Listen to a beautiful song about what life was like before lockdown, by Giedré Ba.
- Comment est née la langue française ? Free Bilingual reader
Where did the French language come from? Get the short answer in this cute animated video for children.
- Comment fabriquer une piñata d'Halloween Free Bilingual reader
Learn how to make a special piñata for Halloween in this bilingual audio article.
- Conseils pratiques pour profiter des marchés de Noël Free Bilingual reader
December is a wonderful time to be in France thanks to the famous Christmas markets. Here's some practical advice to help you maximize your enjoyment and minimize hassles.
- D'où vient la tradition du marché de Noël ? Free Bilingual reader
Learn a bit of the history behind France's traditional Christmas markets in this cute video.
- D'où vient le nom des Schtroumpfs ? Free Bilingual reader
If you were a kid (or parent) in the 80s, you undoubtedly knew the little blue creatures known as Smurfs. As odd as that name might be, the original French is even odder: les Schtroumpfs.
- DIY Pâques - Œuf avec message surprise à l'intérieur Free Bilingual reader
Put your DIY skills to use making un Œuforique, a decorated egg with a surprise message inside.
- Daisy chez le vétérinaire (B1)
Madame Lambert takes her dog, Daisy, to the vet.
- Des initiatives pour aider parents et enfants Free Bilingual reader
Video about some initiatives in Belgium to teach and entertain children while giving parents a bit of a break during confinement.
- Des révisions utiles (B1)
Sophie thanks her private tutor Catherine for her help with her revisions.
- Des vacances à l'étranger (B1)
Mélanie was happy to know some Italian on her holiday [US: vacation]!
- Divali : la Fête des Lumières à Vancouver Free Bilingual reader
Learn about the colorful, joyful festival of Diwali, celebrated by Indians all over the world.
- Donjons et Dragons (B1) Free
Sylvain is a big fan of Dungeons and Dragons.
- Délicieuse rédaction ! (B1)
Isabelle has the perfect excuse for not handing her homework in...
- Départ en vacances (B1) Free
Valérie's family has to get up early to get a plane tomorrow, but no worries! She's very organised.
- Départ pour Rio (B1)
Captain Patrick Dupuis does the flight announcement.
- En attendant bébé... (B1)
Grégory and his partner Lisa are getting ready for the baby.
- Et tout le monde s'en fout : L'eau Free Bilingual reader
Funny video (with some vulgar language) about a serious subject: water.
- Festival de Cannes Free Bilingual reader
One of the most famous and prestigious film festivals in the world is held annually in Cannes. Learn a bit of its history and traditions in this French video with transcript and translation.
- Festival des cerfs-volants Free Bilingual reader
Berck-sur-Mer is home to an annual kite-flying festival - and it's going on right now! Learn about this colorful event with this video while working on your French listening comprehension.
- France Gall, la groupie du pianiste Free Bilingual reader
France Gall passed away in January 2018. Learn about this French singer with a unique voice in our bilingual article.
- French Elections Free Bilingual reader
The next French president will be elected this Sunday - learn about French elections in this bilingual article.
- Game of Thrones (no spoilers) Free Bilingual reader
For all you GoT fans out there (and anyone who'd just like to know what all the fuss is about), here's a video talking about all the records this fantasy TV show broke in its eight-year run.
- Haiti's story of independence Free Bilingual reader
Haiti was the first French colony to gain independence, thanks in large part thanks to one man.
- Il est né le divin enfant Free Bilingual reader
Il est né le divin enfant is one of the most popular French Christmas carols. Enjoy this animated video followed by lyrics in our bilingual reader.
- Il y a un monstre sous mon lit ! Free Bilingual reader
Oh no, there's a monster under this little boy's bed! Listen to his conversation with his father, then scroll down for the bilingual reader.
- Immigrer au Canada Free Bilingual reader
If you dream of immigrating [UK: emigrating] to Canada, this official video has the vital information you need.
- Inventions françaises Free Bilingual reader
Hundreds if not thousands of products you use every day started out as nothing more than an idea - and many of those ideas were originally French.
- J'adore Le Cinquième Élément !
Audrey talks about her love for Luc Besson's "The Fifth Element".
- J'adore nager ! (B1)
Émilie loves swimming, but it wasn't always the case.
- Jardin d'hiver, de Keren Ann Free Bilingual reader
Practice your French listening and reading comprehension with this wintery song.
- Je ne veux pas tomber malade ! (B1)
Monica is annoyed: despite all her efforts, she gets sick every year!
- Je veux un appart plus grand ! (B1)
Valérie dreams of a bigger flat [US: appartement] than her current studio.
- Journée chez Astérix (B1)
Patricia hopes to be able to take her kids to the Parc Astérix tomorrow.
- Joyeux Hanoucca ! Free Bilingual reader
The festival of Hanukkah begins on 25 Kislev on the Jewish calendar, which means the date on the Gregorian calendar changes every year.
- L'Appel du 18 Juin 1940 Free Bilingual reader
The Appeal of 18 June is considered the origin of the French Resistance during World War II. Learn how it came about in this French video with transcript and translation.
- L'Arnacœur - French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
The first Kwiziq French Film Fest review comes from none other than our CEO, Gareth "Gruff" Davies.
- L'anniversaire de Cyril Free Bilingual reader
Practice listening and reading with this story about a surprise party.
- L'auberge espagnole (2002) (B1)
Discover the plot of the French film "Pot Luck" [US: The Spanish Apartment].
- L'enseignement en ligne : Témoignage de Céline Free Bilingual reader
Learn about some of the pros and cons of online teaching in this interview with Céline.
- L'histoire de la fête Nationale Free Bilingual reader
Learn about the history of France's national holiday, le 14 juillet, in this informative video.
- L'invitation perdue (B1)
Stéphane tells Inès about an upcoming party.
- L'oral de français en Première Free Bilingual reader
At the end of "Première," the penultimate year of French high school, French students have to take a literary oral exam. Many of the tips offered in this video can be applied to other oral exams.
- L'origine du feu (B1)
Fire is one of the most important discoveries in human history.
- La Saint-Valentin à la maison (B1)
This year, Laurence's boyfriend organised a special "stay-at-home" Valentine's Day.
- La Toussaint Free Bilingual reader
Toussaint, or All Saints' Day, is an important Catholic holiday, particularly in France.
- La chasse aux œufs Free Bilingual reader
Join the hunt for Easter eggs with this French audio article.
- La chasse aux œufs de Pâques (B1)
Jonathan is in charge of the family's Easter egg hunt this year.
- La fête d'Halloween
Catherine tells us about the tradition of Hallowe'en.
- La fête de la Saint-Patrick Free Bilingual reader
Saint Patrick's Day is the most important day of the year for Irish people all over the world. Learn about this 17 March celebration with this video.
- La maison de Colette (B1)
Laurence enjoyed visiting the famous French writer's childhood house.
- La maison de mes rêves
Angela describes what her dream house would be like.
- La parité (B1)
Christine asked the HR manager for a raise.
- La recette de la tartiflette (B1)
Sandra gives us her delicious tartiflette recipe.
- La rentrée des classes de Mathilde Free Bilingual reader
This back to school article features lots of practice with the future tense.
- La tradition de la Galette des Rois Free Bilingual reader
Have you ever eaten a Galette des Rois? This famous French cake, eaten only in January, contains a surprise!
- La valeur inestimable de Notre-Dame de Paris Free Bilingual reader
Notre-Dame de Paris, a jewel of French Gothic architecture, was partly destroyed by fire on 15 April 2019. Learn about some of the damage that was done in this video.
- Le Bataclan, un théâtre hors du commun Free Bilingual reader
On the 2nd anniversary of the monstrous attack which cost 90 people their lives on November 13th, 2015, and as the Bataclan theater opens its doors again, we wanted to pay tribute to this mythical place of Paris nightlife.
- Le Dîner de cons - French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
Laura's review for the Kwiziq French Film Fest.
- Le FIFF (Festival International du Film Francophone) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about this great French-language film festival from Namur, in Belgium.
- Le Farz Fourn (Spécialités de Bretagne) Free Bilingual reader
Discover the Breton dessert known as Farz Fourn in our bilingual article. This is part of our Spécialités de Bretagne series.
- Le Kig ha Farz (Spécialités de Bretagne) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about the traditional Breton stew Kig ha Farz in our continuing Spécialités de Bretagne series
- Le Kouign Amann (Spécialités de Bretagne) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Bretagne's famous dessert Kouign Amann (butter cake) in this first installment of our Spécialités de Bretagne series.
- Le Radeau de la Méduse, de Géricault Free Bilingual reader
On 2 July, 1816, the ship "La Méduse" wrecked on the shores of Mauritania, and inspired one of the most famous paintings in the world. Learn more in this video.
- Le Salon International de l'Agriculture Free Bilingual reader
The annual Salon International de l'Agriculture is the largest French agricultural event of the year.
- Le Téléthon (B1)
Maëlle will take part in the national charity event that is the Telethon.
- Le jour des rois (B1)
Marie tells us about the French tradition of the "galette des rois".
- Le secret des mamans (B1)
Magalie wonders how her mother is so good at embarrassing her.
- Le tournoi de Roland-Garros Free Bilingual reader
Learn more about Roland-Garros tournament (or French Open), the only Grand Slam tournament played on clay courts.
- Leap Day - La journée bissextile Free Bilingual reader
This extra day comes but once every four years - learn the reason for Leap Day and Leap Year and how to talk about them in French.
- Les Fêtes Johanniques de Reims Free Bilingual reader
One of the most important historical events in France takes place in Reims and commemorates Charles VII's coronation in its cathedral. Learn about it in this French audio article with transcript and translation.
- Les Galettes de Blé Noir (Spécialités de Bretagne) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Bretagne's delicious "galette de blé noir" - savoury buckwheat crêpe - in this latest installment of our Spécialités de Bretagne series.
- Les Lichouseries (Spécialités de Bretagne) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about some of Bretagne's famous "lichouseries" - i.e. sweets [US: candy] - in this next installment of our Spécialités de Bretagne series.
- Les Médiévales d'Ouffet Free Bilingual reader
Every two years, the Belgian town of Ouffet hosts Les Médiévales, a weekend medieval festival.
- Les bonnes résolutions de fin d'année Free Bilingual reader
New year, new opportunity to make exercise a habit. Here's what a French gym and some of its newest members have to say about it.
- Les bouchons, plaie de la route des vacances Free Bilingual reader
When you're driving, the worst part of vacation is getting there and back, and France sees more than its fair share of summer traffic jams.
- Les cours d'anglais - Gad Elmaleh Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy Gad Elmaleh's stand-up comedy about learning English in this video.
- Les maillots du Tour de France Free Bilingual reader
There are four official Tour de France jerseys - do you know what the colors mean?
- Les mamans calmes Free Bilingual reader
To celebrate Mother's Day in France, here's a sketch by the famous French stand-up comedian Florence Foresti, in which she explores the difficulties of motherhood, especially the irritating case of "perfect moms." Language warning: some mild vulgarity.
- Les nouvelles régions Free Bilingual reader
The map of France underwent some big changes this year - learn about the new regions and their names in this bilingual article.
- Les soldes (B1)
Juliette shopped the sales with her friends
- Léo et Popi : la Galette des Rois Free Bilingual reader
Fun video about la Galette des Rois, featuring Léo et Popi from the classic French children's book by Helen Oxenbury.
- L’œuvre d’Émile Zola (B1)
Learn more about famous French writer Emile Zola.
- Ma journée de Noël (B1)
Léonie tells us what she'll do on Christmas day!
- Ma soirée du Nouvel An (B1)
This year, Alice is hosting New Year's Eve !
- Marie Curie Free Bilingual reader
Ready for two minutes of women's history? Listen to French kids talking about renowned scientist Marie Curie in this cute video.
- Menton's Lemon Festival Free Bilingual reader
The lovely French town of Menton is famous for its annual lemon festival. Take a behind-the-scenes look with this video.
- Mes bêtes noires au cinéma (B1)
Clémence tells us about her pet peeves when going to the cinema.
- Mes vacances de ski à Albertville (B1)
Florian hopes to go back to Albertville for his skiing holiday [US: vacation] this year.
- Milo - Les œufs en chocolat Free Bilingual reader
Watch this fun video about Easter and follow along with the transcript and translation!
- Mon français est fantastique avec Kwiziq ! Free Bilingual reader
Rebecca tells us why she loves Kwiziq as her new French learning tool in this Bilingual article.
- Mon homme idéal (B1)
Charlotte describes what her ideal man would look like.
- Monsieur Grognon Free Bilingual reader
Put your French negation skills to work with this bilingual article - click any phrase to see the English translation as well as links to related French grammar lessons.
- Nager avec les dauphins (B1)
Émilie can't wait to realise her life-long dream of swimming with dolphins.
- Naissance de la langue française Free Bilingual reader
Modern French dates from about the year 1300, but where did it come from? Learn about the birth of French in this French audio and transcript - just click any phrase for the English translation and related grammar lessons.
- Noël en France - Christmas in France Free Bilingual reader
How is Christmas celebrated in France? How are Christmas Eve and Christmas Day different in France than in the US or UK?
- Nutella : Bousculades, pagaille, la promo monstre vire à l'émeute ! Free Bilingual reader
In January, a huge discount on Nutella, a chocolate-hazelnut paste beloved by the French (especially on crêpes), led to fights and riots in several stores.
- Omar Sy - Interview Cinéma Free Bilingual reader
French actor Omar Sy is known for a number of international hits, including Les Intouchables, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Jurassic World. In this interview, he talks (quickly!) about some of his favorite movies.
- On va camper ce weekend ! Free Bilingual reader
This audio article about camping was specially written to help you prepare for the listening and reading portions of the AP French exam.
- Ouille Ouille Ouille ! (B1)
Ouch! Pascal lists all his ailments for his doctor ...
- Parle-t-on français ailleurs dans le monde ? Free Bilingual reader
Is French spoken anywhere outside of France? Find out in this cute animated video for children.
- Plus tard - Bigflo & Oli Free Bilingual reader
Did you ever have one of those funny superstitions when you were little? Reminisce with this melancholy song about childhood (and adulthood) by French hip-hop duo Bigflo & Oli composed of two brothers from Toulouse, while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Pollution à Paris Free Bilingual reader
Air pollution is a problem all over the world, and the capital of France is no exception. Fortunately, the mayor of Paris is taking steps to reduce it.
- Pourra-t-on voir des feux d'artifice le 14 juillet 2020 ? Free Bilingual reader
Will there be any fireworks to commemorate Bastille Day 2020? Find out what's happening in this video.
- Premier Mai, poème de Victor Hugo Free Bilingual reader
Listen to Victor Hugo's lovely poem for spring: Premier Mai.
- Problème de machine (B1)
Louise's washing machine is broken! What can she do?
- Programme de remise en forme (B1)
Sylvie wants to get in shape for her next holiday [US: vacation].
- Prénoms français Free Bilingual reader
French parents are not completely free to choose their child's first name - learn about some surprising restrictions in this bilingual audio article.
- Préparatifs de Noël Free Bilingual reader
Get ready for Christmas with this short bilingual article.
- Préparatifs pour le ski (B1)
Jean-Marc's family is getting ready to go skiing this winter!
- Qu'est-ce que l'Avent ? What is Advent? Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Advent and Advent calendars in this French-English article.
- Quand je serai grand Free Bilingual reader
Watch this cute video of kids singing about what they'll do when they grow up, then see the lyrics in our bilingual reader
- Quand je serai papa... (B1)
Christophe knows what kind of dad he wants to be one day.
- Quelques faits intéressants sur le français Free Bilingual reader
Take a break from learning French to learn some interesting facts about French.
- Quitter la maison (B1)
Stéphane tells us of his loving relationship with his parents as he's about to leave home.
- Recette - Le Gratin Bœuf, Potiron et Parmesan Free Bilingual reader
Learn how to make a delicious beef, pumpkin, and parmesan gratin in this video and bilingual article.
- Rentrée scolaire - limiter les dépenses Free Bilingual reader
The start of a new school year typically involves shopping for new supplies. This video shares some tips to keep these expenses as low as possible.
- Rentrée scolaire : la dictature de la mode Free Bilingual reader
Video about the evolution of school smock and the latest back-to-school fashions in France.
- Retard de train (B1)
Noémie and her family had to wait a long time for their train.
- Romance au marché Free Bilingual reader
Here's a cute story about love at first sight, packed with delicious French idioms.
- Rosh Hashana Free Bilingual reader
Learn some traditions related to Rosh Hashana, a two-day celebration for the Jewish New Year.
- Rêve de vacances (B1) Free
Lucas dreams of his perfect sunny holiday!
- Septembre chez mes grands-parents Free Bilingual reader
Reminisce about visiting grandparents in the fall in this audio article.
- Shopping de Noël (B1)
Valérie left her Christmas shopping to the last minute again!
- Si j’avais le pouvoir d’être invisible (B1)
Olivia imagines everything she would do if she could be invisible.
- Simone Veil (B1)
Irène introduces this larger-than-life French magistrate and politician.
- Soirée d'Hallowe'en Free Bilingual reader
A small town in Alsace scares people from all over the region with an elaborate haunted house garage.
- Songkran - Thai New Year Free Bilingual reader
Did you know that Thailand celebrates New Year's in mid-April? Learn about the unique festival of Songkran in this bilingual article.
- Star Wars ou Star Trek ? (B1)
Star Wars or Star Trek? Marc and Carrie both have interesting arguments.
- Taper une invitation (B1)
Aurélie tells us how she'll create her daughter's birthday invitation on her computer.
- Thé ou Café ? (B1)
Joséphine discusses the benefits of these two hot favourites.
- Tour de France Free Bilingual reader
The Tour de France is a bike race and incredible test of endurance. Learn a bit about the history of this annual event in our bilingual article.
- Travailler en équipe (B1)
Xavier tells us why he likes working in a team.
- Un Nouvel An différent (B1)
Stéphane has planned quite different New Year celebrations for this year.
- Un cadeau peut en cacher un autre (B1)
Cathy has a nice surprise in stock for her mother on Mother's Day.
- Un cœur en hiver - French Film Fest Free Bilingual reader
Rowen's Kwiziq French Film Fest review.
- Un frère malicieux
Arthur loves scaring his big sister on Hallowe'en.
- Un petit visiteur (B1)
A little hedgehog started visiting Sophie and her family.
- Un projet coûteux (B1)
Martine wants to reduce her spending to buy a new car.
- Un weekend gâché (B1)
Marie's romantic weekend away gets spoiled by unforeseen bad weather.
- Une Saint Valentin entre copines (B1)
Charlotte is spending this year's Valentine's Day with her best friends!
- Une commande très spécifique (B1)
Sally wants her dessert served in a very specific way.
- Une future mamie (B1)
Viviane can't wait to become a dotting grandma!
- Victor Hugo Free Bilingual reader
Victor Hugo was a renowned author and poet, in the Romantic movement - one of the greatest and best-known French writers.
- À la mercerie (B1)
Sophie goes to the haberdashery [US: sewing store] to get some advice.
- À quoi ça sert de recycler ses déchets ? Free Bilingual reader
What's the point of recycling? Professor Gamberge explains all to a skeptical Charlotte in this animated video.
- Éclipse en Guadeloupe Free Bilingual reader
While the Great American Total Eclipse was just a partial eclipse in Guadeloupe, it was still a sight to behold and required the same special glasses.
- Édith Piaf - portrait français Free Bilingual reader
Édith Piaf was a French cabaret singer and international star. Read and listen to our bilingual article, then listen to a few of her classic songs.
B2: Upper Intermediate French listening exercises
- Acheter mon premier appartement (B2)
Fabienne is thinking about getting her first mortgage.
- Allô les urgences vétérinaires ? Free Bilingual reader
Cat stuck in a tree? Call the emergency vet service.
- Assomption Free Bilingual reader
August 15 is the Catholic holiday of Assomption (Assumption Day) and is férié (a public holiday) in France.
- Au Restaurant de la Plage (B2) Free
Cyril and Eve try the restaurant near the hotel by the beach and decide what to eat from the menu.
- Au secours ! Je n'ai plus internet ! Free Bilingual reader
Need help dealing with customer support when your internet goes out? Check out this audio article for some useful phrases.
- Bastille Day Free Bilingual reader
Happy Bastille Day! Learn about the French national holiday in our bilingual audio article.
- Beaujolais nouveau : ne l'appelez plus piquette ! Free Bilingual reader
It's that time of year again, when wine lovers gather to taste the young wine known as Beaujolais Nouveau. But is it really as good - or bad? - as they say?
- Becoming French Free Bilingual reader
Ever wonder how to obtain French citizenship? This video offers a nice summary of the different ways and what you have to do for each one - plus, it's great listening practice!
- Bretagne news - sketch by Les Inconnus Free Bilingual reader
Get an (exaggerated) idea about French as it's spoken in Bretagne in this humorous sketch by Les Inconnus (a famous French trio of humorists from the 90's).
- Carpe Diem (B2)
Julien is making the biggest leap of his life by moving to his dream country!
- Charles Aznavour s'éteint à 94 ans Free Bilingual reader
Famed French-Armenian singer passed away in October 2018. Watch this video highlighting aspects of his talented career, then scroll down for the transcript in our bilingual reader.
- Chez le boucher (B2)
Mrs Pervenche needs a nice joint of beef for her guests.
- Choisir une banque différente (B2)
More "responsible" banking options for a different future.
- Comment préparer son bagage en cabine Free Bilingual reader
Get some useful packing tips with this video by Catherine Schwaab.
- Contacter un prof particulier (B2)
Joséphine is calling her private tutor to resume their English lessons.
- Coupe du Monde 1998 Free Bilingual reader
Twenty years ago, France beat Brazil to become world champions of European football (aka soccer). In this video, trainer Aimé Jacquet shares his first thoughts.
- Célébrations de la Francophonie (B2)
Louise presents her city's programme of celebrations for Francophonie's 50th anniversary.
- Dans la cuisine de ma mère (B2)
Laëtitia reminisces about cooking with her mother.
- Demande d'emploi Free Bilingual reader
This audio article about a job letter was specially written to help you prepare for the listening and reading portions of the AP French exam.
- Des soldes décevantes (B2)
Justine was very disappointed by this year's winter sale
- Des vacances mémorables Free Bilingual reader
Laurence and Arnaud go on a dream vacation to celebrate 5 years together in this audio article.
- Description du docteur Arsène K. Merlan (B2)
Milo is surprised by the doctor's rather odd appearance... Extract adapted from the French edition of the children's book:"Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!" by Stephen Manes."Comment devenir parfait en trois jours" [Lit: How to become perfect in three days]
- Devant un match de foot Free Bilingual reader
It's World Cup time, so here's a fun dialogue between two football (soccer) fans watching a match.
- Dialectes et langues régionales Free Bilingual reader
For centuries, France was divided into two main dialectal regions. Learn about the development of French in this bilingual article.
- Dix pour cent : la bonne recette Free Bilingual reader
Discover "Dix pour cent", a humorous French TV series about the trials and tribulations of movie star agents.
- Dix pour cent : la bonne recette (suite) Free Bilingual reader
Part 2 of the video about "Dix pour cent", a humorous French TV series about the trials and tribulations of movie star agents.
- Décès de l'ancien président Jacques Chirac, l'animal politique Free Bilingual reader
Former French president and mayor of Paris Jacques Chirac passed away on 26 September 2019. Learn about the legacy of this political animal in this video from France24.
- En route pour le concert (B2)
Grégory, Ben and Lucie are (more or less!) on their way to a concert.
- Films français - La sélection de Céline Free Bilingual reader
Here's a selection of 3 great French movies to (re)discover and enjoy!
- Fête de la Musique Free Bilingual reader
La Fête de la Musique is an annual celebration in France and around the world. Learn a bit of its history in our bilingual audio article, then listen to a few French variety classics.
- Fête de la musique : interview de Jack Lang Free Bilingual reader
In 1981, Ministre de la Culture Jack Lang came up with a new celebration where citizens from every background could celebrate a common love of music: la Fête de la Musique. Here's how it happened.
- Fête des Lumières à Lyon Free Bilingual reader
Lyon's Festival of Light is a must-see event where the walls of buildings become movie screens. Here's a taste of what's in store in 2017, including the newest security measures.
- Hallowe'en in France Free Bilingual reader
At a nursery school in Biarritz, kids get ready for Halloween with stuffed pumpkins and favorite costumes.
- Histoire d'animaux Free Bilingual reader
Learn or practice some French expressions with animals in this cute bilingual story.
- Histoires d'argent Free Bilingual reader
A bilingual text about different relationships to money, rich in French idioms.
- Hommage à Louis de Funès Free Bilingual reader
Louis de Funès was a giant of French comedy known for his high-energy acting, diverse facial expressions, and foul temper.
- Héritage de Johnny Hallyday Free Bilingual reader
Despite being French, Johnny Hallyday wrote his will in the United States, which allowed him to disinherit his children. Find out how they're challenging the will and whether they have a case in this video.
- Idées de cadeaux pour bébés (B2)
Daniel asks Aïssa for advice to find a baby gift.
- Jeux dans la cour de récré
Léo and Chloé are playing marbles in the school playground.
- Johnny Hallyday : 1943-2017 Free Bilingual reader
Watch this hommage to Johnny Hallyday, a French rock and roll legend who died in December 2017.
- L'automne au marché de Landerneau Free Bilingual reader
French markets are full of beautifully coloured food, and never more so than in autumn. Visit the Landernau market with this French video, including transcript and translation.
- L'entrée au collège (B2)
Christine's grandson is starting secondary school, and there's a lot to think about.
- L'esprit de Noël (B2)
Sophie is getting into the Christmas spirit!
- L'histoire de Rose et Jack
One of the most beautifully tragic love stories of modern times.
- L'histoire de la Saint-Sylvestre Free Bilingual reader
In France, New Year's Eve is known as la (fête de) Saint-Sylvestre - but why?
- L'histoire du pastis (B2)
Marielle tells us more about this typically French aperitif drink.
- L'omelette géante de Bessières (B2)
Learn about the French town of Bessières's unique Easter tradition.
- L'origine du mot "canicule" (B2)
Learn about the surprising etymology of the French word "canicule" (heatwave).
- L'écriture inclusive (B2)
What do we call "inclusive writing", and how to use it?
- La Bretagne se révèle en Côtes d'Armor Free Bilingual reader
The northwestern corner of France is a beautiful region called Bretagne, or Brittany. Discover a few of its secrets and myths in this fast-paced video.
- La Chandeleur Free Bilingual reader
The 2nd of February is known as Chandeleur, la fête des chandelles, or le jour des crêpes - learn all about it in this video.
- La Fête des Vendanges de Montmartre (B2)
Learn more about this special autumn festival in the middle of Paris!
- La Grande Odyssée (B2)
Magalie dreams of winning this prestigious French dog sled race.
- La Ve République
Learn more about the current French political regime.
- La construction de la tour Eiffel Free Bilingual reader
Learn more about how France's most iconic monument came to be, while practising your French listening comprehension.
- La cuisine de mes rêves (B2)
Laura tells us about her great new custom kitchen.
- La jeune citoyenne (B2)
Hugo is so proud of his daughter and her green initiatives.
- La main dans le sac Free Bilingual reader
Learn or practice some idiomatic French expressions in this bilingual caper.
- La rentrée, quelle angoisse ! Free Bilingual reader
Get ready to go back to school with an anxious but excited lycéenne in our bilingual audio article.
- La science du pichet en terre cuite (B2)
Barbara explains the science behind the terracotta pitcher.
- Laissez un message ! (B2)
Listen to Anne-Sophie and Guy Degrenne's voice mail!
- Laure Manaudou (B2)
Learn about the exceptional career of one of the best French swimmers of all time.
- Le Baccalauréat
Aurélie tells us what this French exam is about.
- Le Camembert de Normandie (Spécialités de France) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Normandy's famous cheese: le camembert.
- Le Club des Poètes Free Bilingual reader
If you like Paris and poetry, you'll love le Club des Poètes. Find out about this thrice-weekly opportunity to recite poetry in our bilingual audio article.
- Le DELF-DALF en témoignages Free Bilingual reader
The DELF and DALF are official French proficiency tests. In this video, French teachers in various countries talk about what DELF and DALF mean to them.
- Le Fantôme de l'Opéra (extrait)
At the Opera, dancers are spreading rumors of a monster.
- Le Louvre : 800 ans d'Histoire Free Bilingual reader
Did you know that the Louvre, one of the most famous museums in the world, was originally a fortress? Learn about the history of this Parisian monument in this fascinating video.
- Le Paris d'Amélie Poulain (B2) Free
Léa went for a walk through the key spots made iconic by the cult movie "Amelie" (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain).
- Le XVIIIe siècle, le siècle des Lumières Free Bilingual reader
Learn about some of France's rich history in this video.
- Le bonnet phrygien (B2)
Learn about the emblematic Phrygian hat.
- Le carnaval de l'école (B2)
Sabrina has decided to help with her daughter's school's costumes, and it's a lot of work!
- Le commerce équitable : un enjeu de société
Marina discusses the necessity to have a public discussion on fair trade.
- Le drapeau tricolore (B2)
Why is the French flag blue, white and red?
- Le déménagement (B2)
Geoffrey and Laura were moving out today.
- Le français classique Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Classical French in this 5-part series of bilingual articles about the development of French over the centuries.
- Le grand nettoyage de printemps Free Bilingual reader
Take part in the big spring cleaning with this audio article.
- Le palais du pauvre fou (B2)
The "Ideal Palace" is as fascinating a piece of architecture as it is a wonderful story.
- Le premier mai Free Bilingual reader
In much of the world, the 1st of May is a public holiday called Labour Day. Learn the history in this French video with transcript and translation.
- Le ski - Têtes à Claques Free Bilingual reader
Difficult but funny Québécois claymation video about a downhill skier calling emergency services - for himself.
- Le suffrage universel masculin - 5 mars 1848 Free Bilingual reader
France was the first country to institute universal men's suffrage. Find out how that came about in this audio article and bilingual reader.
- Les Bêtises de Cambrai et les Chardons Lorrains (Spécialités de France) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about some traditional candies from different regions of France.
- Les Français vus par les étrangers Free Bilingual reader
Listen to some opinions about the French by people all over the world while working on your French listening comprehension.
- Les animaux en vacances Free Bilingual reader
Pets are important to the French, so much so that they're often included in family vacations. This can be something of a challenge, as you'll learn in this video report.
- Les belles histoires - Bénabar Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy French singer Bénabar's musical love letter to these romantic tropes we all grew up on, and sing along while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Les cloches de Pâques (B2)
Barbara tells us where the tradition of "Easter bells" come from.
- Les corvées du weekend (B2)
Liliane went through a proper Spring Clean of her apartment this weekend !
- Les courses de Noël, quel enfer ! (B2)
Olivia had to go Christmas shopping at the last minute this year!
- Les noces d'or de mes grands-parents (B2)
Catherine was really moved by her grandparents' golden anniversary party.
- Les sites touristiques incontournables de la Guadeloupe Free Bilingual reader
Visit the beautiful archipelago of Guadeloupe in this informative video.
- Lettre au Père Noël Free Bilingual reader
Read Lise's letter to Santa to practice your French Christmas vocabulary as well as listening and reading comprehension.
- Lettre de Nicolas Bedos à son père, le comédien Guy Bedos Free Bilingual reader
French actor and stand-up comedian Guy Bedos passed away on May 28th 2020. To say good-bye, his son Nicolas Bedos, also an actor (and writer/director), wrote a very moving letter, read here on French radio by literary journalist Augusting Trapenard.
- Louis XIV et les artistes (B2)
Learn about Louis XIV's passion for the arts, which didn't come without an ambition to control his own image.
- Lynda Lemay - Les Maudits Français Free Bilingual reader
To celebrate Quebec's National Day, la Saint-Jean-Baptiste (June 24th) and la Fête de la Musique (June 21st), here is a song by Québécois singer-songwriter Lynda Lemay.
- Ma passion pour Harry Potter (B2)
Alicia is a massive Harry Potter fan.
- Ma sœur - Claire Luciani Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy French singer Claire Luciani's ode to sisterly love, and sing along while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Mardi gras ~ Pancake Day Free Bilingual reader
Learn about the various names and celebrations for the day before Ash Wednesday.
- Mes habitudes écologiques (B2)
Aurélie talks about her "green" habits to protect the planet.
- Mes résolutions pour la planète (B2)
This year, Julie has decided she'll be more eco-friendly!
- Mes supers décorations d’Halloween (B2)
Aurélie has really outdone herself for this year's Halloween!
- Mon année à l'étranger Free Bilingual reader
Quelle chance ! Spend a year in France with this audio article and bilingual reader.
- Mon jouet préféré (B2)
Marielle remembers her most memorable Christmas present.
- Mon voisin de pandémie (B2)
During the pandemic, Samuel got closer to his shielding neighbour Roger.
- Ménage de printemps (B2)
Tomorrow, Sophie and her friends will do a big spring cleaning!
- Nigloland (B2)
Sabrina was enchanted by her discovery of this French theme park.
- Noël à Kaysersberg Free Bilingual reader
No trip to France during the Christmas season would be complete without a visit to one of the famous Christmas marchés, and the one in Kaysersberg is perhaps the most authentic.
- Poisson d'avril ! Free Bilingual reader
April's fish... what? Learn about the silly celebration that takes place in France on the 1st of April.
- Pokémon Go - La chasse est ouverte Free Bilingual reader
Pokémon Go has taken the world by storm, and while we can't offer any tips on finding Charmanders or Jigglypuffs, we can help you understand their French names in our bilingual article.
- Portraits français - Jeanne d’Arc Free Bilingual reader
Jeanne d'Arc is one of the most famous women throughout French history. Listen and then read our bilingual article, the third in our series of Portraits français.
- Pour ou contre les zoos : une opinion (B2)
Juliette gives us her balanced opinion on zoos.
- Préparer la cueillette de champignons (B2)
Pauline goes mushroom-picking every year, and she has all the right tools!
- Prévisions Météo Free Bilingual reader
Check out this French weather report for some useful vocabulary and expressions.
- Pézenas : Destination estivale Free Bilingual reader
Pézenas is a beautiful town in southern France loaded with history, culture, and artistic significance. Learn about this "green pearl" in our French audio article with transcript and translation.
- Que faire pour Halloween ? (B2)
Samuel and Eva discuss what they'd like to do for Halloween.
- Quel est le sens spirituel du Carnaval et du Mardi Gras ? Free Bilingual reader
Carnaval and Mardi Gras are huge, weeks-long celebrations in Nice, Venice, New Orleans, Rio de Janeiro, and many other cities around the world. Find out about their religious origins in this video.
- Recommendations en vacances (B2)
Marie is on holiday in France with her husband and asks the receptionist for suggestions
- Recruter un nouvel employé (B2)
Pierre is looking for a new recruit for his company.
- Rendez-vous d'urgence (B2)
François is calling his doctor's practice for an emergency consultation.
- Rentrée de professeur Free Bilingual reader
The start of a new school year is a big deal for students as well as teachers, as heard in this audio article.
- Rentrée de professeur (B2)
Alicia is a teacher and she tells us how she prepares for going back to school !
- Reste à la maison Free Bilingual reader
Yann Lambiel's parody of the song "Y a le printemps qui chante" by Claude François.
- Réalisatrices françaises Free Bilingual reader
In honour of International Women's Day on 8th March, we're celebrating and highlighting the top 5 female film directors in the world of Francophone cinema.
- Réveillon chez Mamie (B2)
Sabine will spend Christmas Eve Dinner at her grandmother's house this year.
- S'occuper sans écran - La drôle d'humeur de Marina Rollman Free Bilingual reader
Marina Rollman is a Swiss comedian who has a weekly segment on France Inter, called La drôle d'humeur. Laugh at her take on life without computer screens in this episode.
- Si j'étais Fantômette !
Stéphanie has always dreamt of being the famous Fantômette!
- Simone, la voix de la SNCF Free Bilingual reader
Meet Simone, the iconic voice of French train stations, while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Soirée d'hiver entre amis (B2)
Jean-François and Sophie are getting ready for a fondue night.
- Son premier animal (B2)
Sonia's daughter Chloé is getting her first pet for her birthday.
- Taxi ! Free Bilingual reader
Listen to this dialog between a taxi driver and a customer for some useful French expressions.
- Trois minutes pour comprendre Thanksgiving Free Bilingual reader
Happy Thanksgiving Americans! And to everyone else who might be scratching your heads wondering what the big deal is, check out this video that offers a quick overview of one of the most important American - and Canadian - holidays.
- Trottinettes électriques - À quand la fin de l'anarchie à Paris ? Free Bilingual reader
Electric scooters can be found all over Paris - at least until the police come along and have them impounded.
- Un 25 décembre en famille (B2)
In Elsa's family, December 25 is a lazy post-Christmas day.
- Un message de Maman (B2)
Jonathan's mother left him a voice mail.
- Un nouveau passeport (B2)
A new passport Grégory needs to renew his passport to go on holiday [US: vacation].
- Un repas savoyard (B2)
What Hélène likes the most on a ski holiday is the mountain restaurant!
- Un régime sain (B2)
Élodie decided to change her diet to feel better.
- Un temps de chien ! (B2)
On that day, a storm was coming...
- Une bonne explication... (B2) Free
Florence knows that there must be an explanation as to why she hasn't heard from her date again yet.
- Une maman très fière (B2)
Viviane loves her son's hand-made presents!
- Une promotion tant attendue (B2)
Céline finally got promoted!
- Une rentrée plutôt réussie ! Free Bilingual reader
B2 French interactive listening article
- Une soirée folle ! (B2)
Sophie had a crazy night out.
- Visite de Marseille Free Bilingual reader
See the sights and taste the bouillabaisse while visiting the French city of Marseille with SNCF.
- Visite de Strasbourg en Alsace Free Bilingual reader
Visit the beautiful Alsatian town of Strasbourg and taste some local beer in this video.
- Visite de Vire (B2)
Jacqueline's sister visited the French city of Vire, in Normandy.
- Visite de la Côte Fleurie (Normandie) Free Bilingual reader
Visit some lovely towns along the coast of Normandy, including Honfleur, Trouville-sur-Mer, and Deauville.
- Visite de routine à la ferme (B2)
Veterinarian Claire will do her weekly check-up routine at the Durands' farm next Thursday.
- Visite du Périgord Free Bilingual reader
View castles from a riverboat, visit prehistoric caves, and taste truffles in the beautiful French region of Périgord.
- What makes a perfect Valentine's Day? (Bilingual article) Free Bilingual reader
This bilingual article with audio describes two very different holidays - and what a difference!
- À la pêche aux coques (B2)
Amélie and her brother Bruno love fishing cockles on Normandy beaches.
C1: Advanced French listening exercises
- Alsatian accent Free Bilingual reader
Get an (exaggerated) idea about French as it's spoken in Alsace in this humorous sketch by Les Inconnus (a famous French trio of humorists from the 90's).
- Aïe Aïe Aïe ! Ça brûle ! (C1)
Jean-François got badly sunburnt last weekend.
- Bienvenue dans l'équipe (C1)
Barbara welcomes the new member of her professional team.
- Coluche (C1)
The French comedian is still much loved in France, 30 years after his death.
- Combattre l'hypocondrie (C1)
Nathalie tells us about her struggle with hypochondria.
- Cours d'aérobic (C1)
Burn the fat with aerobics coach Daniella!
- Critique gastronomique (C1)
Sabrina and her husband were delighted by their dinner experience at Lou Pignatoun restaurant.
- Croisière au Canada (C1)
Listen to this enticing ad for a Canadian cruise.
- Dans le train de nuit (C1)
Amandine traveled on the night train to meet up with some friends.
- Des lettres d'un autre temps... (C1)
Lydia made a romantic discovery in her grandparents' attic...
- Discours de lancement de produit (C1)
Valérie is giving a thank you speech on the launch of their new product.
- Dur dur de réviser (C1)
Géraldine is struggling to stay focus on revisions in sunny June.
- Départ en vacances
Julie and Patrick are discussing how to avoid the rush of holiday [US: vacation] departures.
- Emploi de ménage (C1)
Monsieur Jacquard explains today's cleaning job to the cleaning team.
- Entretien pour être fille au pair
Interview to be an au pair Jane applies to be an au pair in France.
- Festival culturel pour les réfugiés (C1)
Anne-Claire explains the benefits of their cultural refugee festival.
- Fête d'anniversaire surprise
Florence and Quentin discuss the surprise birthday party they're organising for their friend Vincent.
- Henri Matisse au Centre Pompidou Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy a fascinating retrospective on French painter Henri Matisse at the Pompidou Center in Paris, while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Histoire et origine du français canadien Free Bilingual reader
The French spoken in Québec is different than what you might be used to - but why? Check out this animated video for an explanation of the Québécois accent ...
- Ikea (C1)
Alice has decided to get a brand new kitchen from Ikea.
- Janvier Sobre (C1)
After the holidays' excesses, why not try the "Dry January" challenge?
- Je déteste les anniversaires ! (C1)
Amélie hates birthday celebrations, especially when it's hers!
- Je n'ai plus d'argent ! (C1)
Mathieu tells his friend why he's broke this month.
- J’ai besoin d’aide, Docteur ! (C1)
Yann tells his doctor about his painful back problems.
- Kwiziq dans le "Crystal Maze" Free Bilingual reader
In May 2018, the Kwiziq Team met in London for a week of work - and just a bit of fun, including a visit to The Crystal Maze Experience.
- L'enseignement en ligne (C1)
Catherine talks about her experience having to suddenly teach online.
- L'exploitation des forêts (C1)
Solène tells us about the pressing issue of deforestation.
- L'histoire du macaron français (C1)
Learn more about this elegant and delicious confection.
- La Galette des Rois (C1)
Isabelle tells us about the right way to eat French "galette des rois".
- La Saint-Valentin Free Bilingual reader
Celebrate Valentine's Day with this funny video about interpreting gestures on a first date.
- La science du langage (C1)
Linguistics as a science made a giant leap thanks to one great discovery.
- Le Cassoulet, plat traditionnel du Sud Ouest (Spécialités de France) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about le cassoulet, a traditional dish enjoyed throughout southwest France.
- Le Prix Goncourt (C1)
Learn about this prestigious French literary award.
- Le casse-tête des cadeaux (C1)
Thierry lists everything that annoys him when having to pick a gift.
- Le chauffage (C1)
Amélie asks Marc to help her with the heating system.
- Le confinement, quelle vie de chien ! Free Bilingual reader
Find out what confinement is like from a new perspective in our bilingual audio article.
- Le congé paternité en France (C1)
Learn about the latest improvements to French paternity leave.
- Le coup d'État du 18 Brumaire (C1)
Learn how Napoleon Bonaparte became Head of State following a coup d'Etat in 1799.
- Le marché aux poissons (C1) Free
Louise remembers discovering a fish market on a sunny holiday in Brittany.
- Le pire hôtel de Hollande (C1)
Carole tells Samuel about her worst hotel experience ever!
- Le poème "Voyelles" de Rimbaud (C1)
Learn about one of Rimbaud's most famous poems.
- Le rangement d'après Noël (C1)
Suzanne has already started to put the Christmas decorations away.
- Le réalisateur Ladj Ly et "Les Misérables" (C1)
French director Ladj Ly on his film "Les Misérables".
- Les Accras de Morue des Antilles (Spécialités de France) Free Bilingual reader
Learn about one of the most popular culinary specialities in the West Indies: Guadeloupe's famous accras de morue (cod fritters).
- Les Fleurs du Mal (C1)
Learn about French poet Baudelaire's conception of beauty and poetry.
- Les héros en herbe (C1)
Children are more than ever the future.
- Les modalités du don d'organes en France (C1)
Here's some information about organ donation in France.
- Les prévisions météo pour demain matin (C1)
Here's the weather forecast for tomorrow morning.
- Les vendanges (C1)
Florence harvested grapes with her friend Samuel this year.
- Lettre au Père Fouettard (C1)
Julie writes to the Boogeyman to ask for his leniency after a naughty year!
- Léopold Sédar Senghor (C1)
Fatima tells us about one the greatest Francophone writers.
- Ma grand-mère, une pâtissière exceptionnelle
Mélanie remembers the summer afternoons she spent watching her grandmother baking delicious treats.
- Ma routine pendant le Ramadan Free Bilingual reader
Learn about Ramadan celebrations with Hajar, while practising your French listening comprehension.
- Mamie la couturière (C1)
Marie-Louise's grandson asked for a clown costume.
- Mardi Gras à La Nouvelle-Orléans (C1)
Did you know where New Orleans's famous Mardi Gras came from?
- Merci Maman (C1)
Agathe thanks her mother for everything she's done for her.
- Merci au personnel soignant (C1)
Amélie wanted to thank the hospital staff who took care of her father.
- Mes projets pour 2021 (C1)
Aurélie has made a list of everything she will do after the pandemic.
- Mina est réveillée ! (C1)
Family cat Mina is always the first up in the morning!
- Mon Noël d'antan Free Bilingual reader
Remember what Christmas was like when you were a child in this bilingual audio article.
- Mon grand-père (C1)
Louise talks about the amazing influence her grandfather had on her life.
- Monsieur Dépensier (C1)
Geoffrey can't seem to control his spending!
- On ira - ZAZ Free Bilingual reader
Enjoy this catchy song and colorful video while practicing your (fast!) French listening comprehension.
- Pardon Professeur (C1)
Nina writes a letter of apology after disrespecting her teacher.
- Peindre des figurines (C1)
Christelle reminisces about her teenage passion for Warhammer figures.
- Pendaison de crémaillère (C1)
Thomas marvels at Tania's new place at her housewarming party.
- Philippe Costamagna, détective des œuvres d’art (C1)
Philippe Costamagna has a fascinating job: he investigates works of art!
- Pour ou contre le mariage : une opinion (C1)
Béatrice had a strong opinion about weddings until...
- Pourquoi consommer des fruits et légumes de saison ? (C1)
Here are some arguments in favour of eating seasonal produce.
- Pourquoi monter son propre PC (C1)
Caroline tells us about the benefits of building your own gaming PC.
- Pronostics pour le France-Irlande du Tournoi des Six Nations
A sports commentator discuss the predictions for the next Six Nation Tournament rugby game, opposing France to Ireland.
- Pâques-atastrophe ! (C1)
Despite her best efforts to make Easter perfect, Madeleine ended up with egg on her face!
- Quand Mai 68 changea la France Free Bilingual reader
May 1968 was a turning point in French history. On this 50th anniversary, learn how students and workers revolutionalized France.
- Quelle panique ! (C1)
The organisation of Patricia's party was a bit chaotic !
- Ramonage d'hiver (C1)
Elisabeth talks about having her chimney swept before winter
- Rencontrer ma belle-famille (C1)
Sonia is dreading meeting her partner's family for the first time.
- Repas Pascal (C1)
Marina really enjoyed spending Easter Sunday with her family.
- Savoyard accent Free Bilingual reader
Get an (exaggerated) idea about French as it's spoken in Savoie in this humorous sketch by Les Inconnus (a famous French trio of humorists from the 90s).
- Technopathies (C1)
Flavie wonders about the emergence of mental health issues linked to technology.
- Tournoi de pétanque
Léon explains to Marius why he won't make the boules tournament.
- Travailler à Disneyland Paris (C1)
Émilie talks about her job as a character actor at Disneyland Paris.
- Trop beau pour être vrai ! (C1)
Laurent and his girlfriend had an unpleasant surprise when discovering their hotel...
- Ubisoft (C1)
Learn a bit more about the French video games company Ubisoft.
- Un imprévu au programme !
Liliane asks her partner François for an unforeseen change to their after-work routine.
- Un restaurant (presque) parfait (C1)
Flora and her husband had an (almost) perfect experience at the town's new restaurant.
- Un voyage en Normandie (C1)
Valérie remembers fondly her trip to Normandy.
- Une Saint-Valentin entre filles Free Bilingual reader
No Valentine? No problem!
- Une maman épanouie (C1)
Amélie would have never thought she'd love being a mother so much!
- Une routine très précise (C1)
Julie has a very precise daily routine...to the minute !
- Une victoire inattendue (C1)
Julia thought she was winning at Scrabble against her grandma...
- V pour Vendetta Free Bilingual reader
In honour of Guy Fawkes Night (November 5th), let's take a look at V for Vendetta, a 2006 political thriller film set in a dystopian United Kingdom under the rule of a neo-fascist regime, where V, the mysterious anarchist freedom fighter tries to start a revolution through elaborate terrorist acts. Highly recommended!
- Valéry Giscard d'Estaing - Une rétrospective en images Free Bilingual reader
Former French President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing died of Covid-19 on 2 December, 2020, at the age of 94. Take a look back at his life and career in this video from Le Monde.
- Vendée Globe 2016 / 2017 Free Bilingual reader
Vendée Globe is a grueling, non-stop solo round the world race without assistance.
- Very Low Cost Airlines Free Bilingual reader
Think the last flight you took was bad? It probably doesn't compare to this one!
- À la laverie automatique (C1)
Laëtitia and Yvan complain about having to go to the laundrette.
- À l’aéroport
Sophie and Anne discuss what to do before getting on the plane.
- “Mon rêve familier” de Paul Verlaine (C1)
Here's one of Paul Verlaine's most famous poems, where he reminisces about dreaming about a perfect woman.