Including Kwiziq.com, "Progress with Lawless French"
We recognize that privacy is important.
Information we collect and how we use it
We offer services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
Information you provide
- When you sign up for a Kwiziq account or other Kwiziq service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information such as your name, email address and an account password; we store your password in an encrypted form so that even we do not know it.
- Financial information - If we need to take credit card, financial or payment details from you, we will either use a regulated third party (such as PayPal, Google Checkout, or a service provided by a regulated bank) in which case they may store your financial details, or we will store data in an encrypted form. We will never store financial information you supply to us in a form which is not secure.
- Your public profile - We may provide the ability for you to create a public profile, including personal details and one or more photos of yourself. Your profile may also be linked to your Facebook account in which case some data may be shared with Facebook. You may need to adjust your Facebook privacy settings. Anything you write about yourself in the details section of your profile is publicly available and may be available for other users to see, therefore you should not post anything you wish to keep private here. Do not write contact details such as your email address on your profile except in the contact details fields which are private and remain unpublished unless you explicitly give permission to certain users to see them.
- Log information - When you access Kwiziq services, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit sections of our website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
Other data we may store about you
- We may collect data about your language knowledge based on your use of our services, tools and games in order to support your language learning and tailor our educational programmes to your specific needs. We retain the right to this data, but we collect it for your benefit. You can see the data we hold about you and your language skills using the various reports available on the site. You may also request to see all the data we hold about you and we will do our best to provide it directly (though we cannot guarantee to supply it in a particular form).
- User communications - When you send email or other communications to Kwiziq, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Links - Kwiziq may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our services, customized content and advertising.
- Providing our services, including the display of customized content and advertising
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our services
- Protecting the rights or property of Kwiziq or our users; and
Developing new services.
Here are the cookies we use and why.
- Google Analytics
e.g. _utma, _utmb, _utmc,_utmz, ga, gat
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
- CMS cookies
These are set by our content management system to mantain your session or "being logged in"; it also helps us to personalise your site experience.
This is set by our SSL provider to validate your secure link to our site (see the security seal at the bottom of the page).
In addition to the above, some of our "share" functions, such as Facebook Like or Tweet, set cookies for their own purposes. These can vary and are not set explicitly by kwiziq.com - these too can be blocked by configuring your browser settings.
Kwiziq processes personal information on our servers in the United States of America, United Kingdom, and other countries. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country. We may process personal information to provide our own services. In some cases, we may process personal information on behalf of and according to the instructions of a third party, such as our advertising partners.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we may ask you to provide additional personal information. If we wish to use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some Kwiziq features and services may not function properly if cookies are disabled.
Kwiziq may uses 3rd party advertising cookies such as Google's AdSense.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case Kwiziq may not be able to provide those services to you.
Kwiziq only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Kwiziq in the following limited circumstances:
The data we store about your language skills may be made available to 3rd party language services that use our API in order that they can provide services to help you improve your language skills, but they may not store this data about you. For example, a 3rd party may have a game that helps improve vocabulary skills that, using our API, can work out what vocabulary you need to practice next in order to improve and then serve the content most suited to your needs.
We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Kwiziq, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, or how many users reached a certain level of competence in a language. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact us using our website for any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage, processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Kwiziq employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Accessing, updating or deleting personal information
If you no longer wish us to hold data about you, then you can request that we purge your account and we will destroy any data we hold that could be used to identify you. We reserve the right to keep statistical or anonymised data. We will no longer have any way of knowing to whom the data once referred.
When you use Kwiziq services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or are extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users' personal information. We provide the details for these procedures in the specific privacy notices or FAQs for these services.